Sunday, January 14, 2007

1-14-2007

Well the last few days have been a little relaxing and have allowed me a little time to recover. I think I was more tired from the weekend than I realized as I took long naps on Thursday and Friday. Of-course, my tiredness could have been chemo related but I would bet it was more of a culmination of everything that has been going on. Man, those naps felt good. When I eventually do get back to work, I would not be surprised if, occasionally, I took a few hours of PTO to enjoy a good nap.

My health is still pretty stable and I actually hit a bit of a milestone last weekend. January 5th marked 6 months since diagnosis. Again, there really are no statistics for 25 year old, "healthy," individuals with pancreatic cancer, but I have survived longer than what a lot of the horrible information on the internet was predicting. In a way, it is a bit exciting to be where I am right now. Some of my fellow patients, as well as myself, actually have the opportunity to perhaps be some of the first long term pancreatic cancer survivors. Hopefully the tide is turning a bit in what has, until recent years been a very one sided battle. For now, I try to stay focused on the immediate goals and just keep hoping for the cancer to respond to the chemo.

After my long wonderful nap on Thursday, Eva and I went to the King's game. We were joined by a childhood friend of mine, Jeff, and his girlfriend, Stacy, as well as Adam Shaffer and his girlfriend, Tran. It was Tran's first major sporting event and she seemed to be quite excited. Although I am not sure if she was more excited by the game or the nachos. What ever it was, there was a smile on her face. It was really good to catch up with Jeff and Adam as I had not seen either in a little while. Jeff was comparing this experience to the last game he went to where he got to sit right up against the glass (we were up in the nosebleeds, though it was a pretty good vantage point from which to watch the game). It certainly was not as exciting without the guys crashing into the glass right in front of you, but you could definately follow the game much better as the puck was actually visible a majority of the time from our perspective. Anyways, it was a pretty enjoyable game but the Kings ended up losing to the Sharks 5-2. Our goalie kept getting beat on his right side.

Friday and Saturday were spent mostly lounging around the apartment. Friday's highlight was a really nice lunch with Eva. On Saturday we took care of a few domestic things (laundry, mail, bills, etc.) and then met my parents for dinner followed by the theater. Eva picked out a nice little Vietnamese place right next to the theater and, in an effort to impress Richard and Joey, I had the Pho (uncooked meat thrown into the hot soup). It was pretty good although I never know exactly what to do with the extra stuff they bring (sprouts and liquorish leaves). Eva also picked the show and we saw "The Queen of Bingo" at a small theater just down the street from our apartment. It was a riot. Especially since Eva and my folks had actually played Bingo in Vegas last year. So many of the hilarious idiosyncrasies were captured by these two somewhat large men playing older women. At the intermission, the audience actually got to play a round of Bingo that was dubbed the Middle Bird Special and the winner actually took home a turkey. Now one of the major Fo-Pas in the bingo world is calling bingo when you don't actually have it, usually the result of some confusion or mix-up as to what game is being played or what card everyone is on. Our family almost suffered the embarrassment of a false call in Vegas when my dad was a card behind and called it once before my mother could rein him in and show him his mistake (luckily only a few people around us heard and the family name was saved). Needless to say, a bit of fear jostled me as my father once again called bingo during the middle bird special at the theater last night. Eva and I looked at each other and half grimaced and half smiled and just hoped that he actually had it, which he did. My father won the middle bird special to cap off an incredible day (he had scored and the team had won his soccer game earlier in the day). We enjoyed the second half of the show and then the priest/bingo caller delivered the prize. We were sort of expecting a game hen or something of that nature when he hands over a 19 pound turkey. We were a little shocked and that bird got pretty heavy on our walk home. Anyways, it was just a fun wonderful evening out and about.

Today, Eva and I kept it low key and just had a really nice day. It is amazing how much we have both grown to enjoy just spending time together. I still try to squeeze in quite a bit, but it is important to also slow down from time to time. I biked alongside Eva as she ran this morning and on the way back we stopped at the farmer's market along Santa Monica Blvd. We picked up a few of tastiest oranges I have ever had and then moved onto the strawberries and avocados. Eva put the brakes on when she almost bought a $3 tomato. Granted it was hydroponically grown, but that still seemed a little excessive. I know that Eva and I were really close before this whole thing but we have grown incredibly close over the last 6 months. It seems as if we are closer everyday and it is such a wonderful feeling. There really is very little I enjoy more than just spending time with her and being close to her. I wish each and everyone of you out there the kind of contentment, closeness, and happiness that I feel right now. Of-course there are rough times and sometimes she is so feisty that I can't handle her but those times are rare, and she has just been such a big part of me doing as well as I am doing.
-TN

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Tyler,

I just did some catch-up reading your blog -- I was so sorry to read about your grandma. I remember going with you to her house when we were in high school.

Glad to hear you're keeping busy and doing well -- let me know if you're ever in Orange County (I know, I know, I'm behind the Orange Curtain now.)

Take care and talk soon,

~Nina

Tom said...

Hey Tyler:

Thanks for the update on what you've been doing. Sounds like you are really busy. Wow, you're skiing, biking, flying, and boating . . . . land and air and sea. Isn't there a song . . . "From the halls of Montezuma to the shores of Tripoli . . we will fight our country's battles, in the air, on land, and sea". You're just all over the place. . . and having great fun. We're kind of socked in up here in Portland with tons of snow. No school and two "Snow Days" so far . . maybe more. Our neighborhood looks like a ski resort with all the sleds, skis, and snowboards . . lots of fun. Maybe, when you get your pilot's license, you can drop in for a visit up here in Portland.

Take care.

Love, Uncle Tom

Anonymous said...

Hey Tyler,

I missed reading your blog. I'm so glad to hear you are doing well. Rich says don't come to work expecting to take all those naps :)...know that we think of you often and you are in our prayers...Take Care

Deena

Unknown said...

Hey, Tyler, glad you had pho, maybe after you come back from your trip we can go and have some more :)

Anonymous said...

Aint love grand!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Tyler,
Just wanted to drop by and say "Hi" and that I enjoy reading your blogs. I work with your dad in Labor and Delivery and I have for the last 16 years. You are truly a warrior against this hideous disease. My brother's mom in law was dx in April of 2006. She was denied the Whipple proceedure but is hanging in there. I don't think she is as active as you are, in fact I don't know ANY ONE who is as active as you are...hahaha

My thoughts go out to you and your family. Hang in there Tyler and fight the good fight.
Sincerely,
Terry Leone
Labor and Delivery

Anonymous said...

Hi Tyler -
Just wanted to touch base with you guys. The gang sends their regards.

Sherry

Unknown said...

Hey Ty,

When's the book coming out with all your blogs compiled together? Or, more importantly, when's the blog with all your Swiss adventures getting posted? ;)

Love,
T