Tuesday, April 24, 2007

4-23-2007 My Birthday

April 23rd was my birthday and what a birthday it was. Frankly, I was just stoked to still be around for it. I still am very hopeful for the future but after diagnosis the question of whether or not I would make it to my next birthday was a tough one to answer. Hopefully there will be many more ahead of me.

Eva was adorable and full of energy when we got up. I had chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast and added the rest of the boysenberries for good measure. To keep in the theme for this year, I had an infusion in the morning. There really was no other place I could imagine going on my birthday and it just sort of worked out that way. It was an easy infusion as I only got Mitomycin C, which only takes about 30 minutes. I still get tripped out every time I receive that particular chemo. It seriously looks like purple Gatorade. We brought a cake to the office and the office staff was really warm and excited that it was my birthday. Dr. Isacoff gave me a hug. Sony played with Eva and me but was a little smelly so we kept the handling to a minimum. Candice did the usual review of systems and everything is just going along as usual, or at least going along our new definition of usual. My mother met Eva and me at UCLA and joined us during the infusion. Unfortunately, my father had to work, but we got to spend the weekend together and he is also off this Wednesday. I am sure we will find something to do.



After the infusion, Eva had to drop some samples off at a lab at UCLA for work and then we all went to Holmby for a round of golf. I was glad to have my mother along as it took a bit of the competitive edge off of the Eva vs. Tyler sports rivalry and she certainly added some hilarity to the game. Both Eva and my mother played really well and managed to each post a few pars. I was very impressed. Granted, a number of their shots just rolled up to the green, but they still got there and that is really all that matters. The “river” did present quite a challenge as a two foot wall (that serves as a waterfall when there is actually water in the river) nearly proved to be an impenetrable obstacle for my mother and Eva. It was wonderful playing with my two favorite women and when Eva pars a hole or hits a sweet shot, she does a little celebratory dance that is to die for. My mother describes golf as being similar to playing the slots. Hours of disappointment interspersed with moments of glory that are just
enticing enough to keep you going. I had a really good day as I actually birdied 3 holes and only shot 8 over par for the round. It should be said that there were a large number of mulligans and that the 8 over par is by no means an accurate representation of my golfing ability. I felt very good as a number of my tee-offs were actually rather pretty. That does look like a lot of backswing for a 40 yard hole, though.

As if golf was not fun enough, we added a little squirrel chasing in as well. I knew Eva was quick, but being able to nearly outmaneuver a squirrel puts her in a league of her own. Don’t worry, we only chased the squirrel for a few minutes and I am sure he was not too traumatized. Besides, those moments of terror keep the squirrel sharp and ready for action. At least that is what Eva says when she is harassing me.




After golf, Eva and I went back to the apartment and, though I was kicking around a number of ideas in my head, took a nap. It was really nice just relaxing and taking it easy and I am realizing more and more how much I value just spending time with the ones I love. I also enjoy packing the day and really enjoy packing the day by doing things with the ones I love, but
slowing down has become an equally enjoyable activity. We had stopped by Ralphs on the way home and decided to go big for my birthday. Food has also risen to be one of my favorite pastimes. I decided on the surf and turf theme and picked up some Ahi Tuna, Alaskan king crab legs, and a steak. We added some fruits and a small salad for a little color and Eva also partook of some sushi rolls. I had asked the guy if any of the fish was OK for sushi and he had said that the Ahi was of sushi quality and they had just got it in that day so I decided to live dangerously. It was really good and I have made it about 20 hours without any major intestinal problems so hopefully I am OK. The steak was tender and juicy and great coming off the grill. Crab is quite a healthy food as I am pretty sure there is a net loss of calories while you eat it, especially if you do not have any shell crackers. None the less, it was very tasty and worth the effort. After dinner, Eva and I watched Swingers, an old favorite, and called it a night. I spoke to a few friends and my father and it was just a really nice day. Thanks to everyone who helped to make me a really happy guy on my birthday. I really appreciate it.

This is rather embarassing, but I thought some of you might enjoy a short video of me struggling to eat some crab. I would probably last about 2 minutes if I ate this way in a restaurant. Hopefully you get some amusement out of it.

No comments: