Sunday, March 21, 2010

Health Care Vote Tonight 3-21-2010


I was a little fired up when I wrote this. Forgive the proselytizing.

I am writing today as an advocate of the health care reform bill that is being voted on in congress today. At this point, it is looking like the Senate bill will be passed by the house and then reconciled once the president has signed it into law. Wow, what a process it has been. I have personally been both inspired and horrified by the legislative process and people on both sides of the debate. I cannot believe how hard it has been to get to this point. I guess I just don’t understand. There seems to be widespread suspicion of the government these days I and I just do not get it. Maybe I am naive, but the government has done right by me during my hour of need. The safety net that we have and are fashioning should catch you on your way down, not restrict you on your way up. I think the health care legislation is another step in strengthening the net so that our most vulnerable are not forgotten. I feel that the character of a society is shown by how it treats its most vulnerable citizens. Do we feed our poor or merely look down on them for not being able to provide for themselves? Do we help our disabled or mock them? Do we detain our convicts humanely or starve them in squalor? How we treat those less fortunate than us, reflects back upon us. Again, I feel that the sacrifice we all will make to extend health coverage to nearly all Americans is miniscule compared to the enormous benefit individuals (and the rest of us) get by being covered and the nation gets by raising its moral standard. Today will, hopefully, be the day that the richest nation on earth finally decided to look after all of its citizens, rich and poor. You personally may not experience a medical bankruptcy, but you could, or someone close to you could. Ask yourself, how much is it worth to you, to have the security of knowing that medical bankruptcy will not happen to you or a loved one. That piece of mind is worth a lot to me. Many times more that whatever small tax increases, if any, I will bear.

Of course, I have a very unique perspective and, like anyone, have my own personal biases. I welcome all comments an criticisms, especially those who disagree with me. Perhaps concerns can be posted and I can make an attempt to alleviate them through the comments section.

Anyways, enough lecturing. A quick update on my health...My leg strength has continued to degenerate and it is pretty tough to get around these days. I spent a week in the hospital to try to figure it out and it looks like chemo initially damaged the nerves and then they were damaged further when I worked out while my creatanine was too high because I was not getting enough dialysis. Solution: dialyze more and wait for the nerves to regenerate (which hopefully they will). It just takes time, lots of time I am told, like months. We are figuring things out slowly but it has been tough. Few of the places I frequent are really wheelchair accessible. It is not that they are accessible or not, but it is more of a spectrum. Some places are easier than others. UCLA is fairly good. My apartment, not so much. My parent’s house, good in some ways, less so in others. For instance, there are only two small steps to get into my parents house, but the bathroom doors are not standard and my wheelchair will not fit through them. My walker will make it if I go sideways, but it is a little tricky. It has also been straining emotionally to be so dependent on Eva and my parents. I feel very dependent and it is also hard to feel so helpless if someone accidentally puts your walker just out of reach. Ok, I could crawl to it, but then how would I get back up on my feet once I was there. I would have to crawl back to the couch or bed, dragging the walker, try to get up onto the bed, and then try to get up on my feet. Everything just becomes that much harder. One victory yesterday, was figuring out how to shower at my apartment. There are no bars to hold onto and the lip for the shower is about 12 inches high. I can barely lift my foot 12 inches, let alone balance on one foot while I step over the lip into the shower. Our solution was to get two folding chairs. We put one into the shower and one just out side. I sit on the outside one, transfer to the inside one, and while sitting on the inside one, lift my legs into the shower. Eva is spotting me the whole time. Then she leaves, I enjoy my shower (sorry earth, once I am in, I love it, so I use a bit more water than I should), and I yell when I am done. She helps as I reverse the entry process and we are done. It was a good thing we figured it out because I was getting a little musty. Those little clean wipes can keep you going for a few days, but there is nothing quite like a nice warm shower. Otherwise, work has been going pretty well. They are pretty awesome people and have been so kind and understanding. I hope I am contributing to the group. Eva is still studying hard. The folks are doing well. Last Sunday, we all went to a Breast Cancer 5K at Dodger Stadium. Eva and my dad ran and then helped my mom push me through the 5K walk in the wheelchair. I may not have been exerting myself, but I think my heart rate was elevated during most of the walk (lots of people, obstacles, and cracks). All in all, it was good to be out.

Take Care and Live Strong,
Tyler

11 comments:

Scott Cohn said...

Tyler, your thoughts are so on target. Why should those in need of medical care get any less than those who have other needs?

Keep up your fight.

Scott Cohn
Chesterfield, MO
scohn@bfgstl.com

Anonymous said...

Many positive aspects of the health care bill. However, i do worry about what kind of earmarks are also attached to ensure that it passed.
dara

Anonymous said...

Tyler,
I have hand holds for the shower if you would find them helpful and you would like to have them.

Dara

Anonymous said...

Tyler
My buddy Mark is falling off of first to comment. Perhaps he doesn't like to talk politics or (heaven forbid) is a conservative.
Very good and timely blog. The devil will now be in the details.
Thanks for not naming me as the wheelchair pusher with the trouble navigating the cracks (sorry about that).

Tyler you are the best!!
Love, Dad

Anonymous said...

Tyler, Just got off the phone with your Dad, blasphemy, how dare he insinuate I am a conservative. Doesn't he understand I am only mad at myself for not checking the blog daily. Yes I am a bit too competitive and sure I aspire to be the first commentor. Not sure that's a word. Enjoyed and agree with your opinion of health care, it is always easy to judge things from a distance. Stay strong and if you are feeling up to it we are going to the Seal Beach 5k April 10th. One of our favorite places. Would love to see you and Eva.Mark Carpenter

dma0120 said...

Tyler, I have been following your blog even though I have not commented before. I really never know what to say, and I am not very good at expressing my thoughts. But I have admired your courage through this illness. And I’m so very sorry you have to go through this. Now you have just blown my mind, for you to be so compassionate about others at this time is unbelievable. I have been arguing on Facebook with 2 of my grandsons (who are much too conservative for their age) about the health care bill. I probably should keep my opinions to myself, but I just can’t believe they are so callous. If you don’t mind, I am going to copy part of your post and hope they read it. Please take care and give my love to your folks. You are in my thoughts all the time. Love, Great-aunt Donna.

Anonymous said...

I hope that this law contributes to solving the health care issues and doesn't create more.
I despise that they had to bribe Congressmen with earmarks and that they add everything but the kitchen sink to every bill [College student loans?]. Why not just deal with the problem at hand and come up with the best solution?
I've always felt that all medical care is experimental, and as such should be covered by insurance or university research funds. I saved like mad after watching a local 8 year old boy dragged from one fund raiser to another to earn money for a liver transplant in the 80's.
Never wanted to face that for my family.
As you know, cancer costs are astronomical. Beyond belief. A single Neulasta shot was $5000. Anti-nausea pills $200 each. I told them I would just throw up! No big deal! Of course, they couldn't allow that! Many patients with "insurance" found that they weren't covered for cancer.
Waiting to see if this law helps. Told Mom she has to stay around until at least 2014 to find out!
Meanwhile, enjoying Medicare. It's been surprisingly responsive. Don't you just love those forms in the doctors' offices that you agree to all charges if your insurance fails to pay? I never buy anything without knowing the price--except of course, medical care!
Glad to hear you feel well-treated by the government. Not all share those feelings.
Bette, your cousin-once-removed

Carolyn Burke said...

Hi Tyler,

John and I are so happy to get your updates from so far away. I was also thrilled when the health care bill passed. After living here in the UK where everyone's covered, it would be hard giving up health care coverage again. No one outside the US understands why we haven't had it for all this time. Anyway, good to hear from you. Maybe we can get a skype in soon with you. John's been talking about it. Give a big hug to your parents and to Eva from us.
Love,
Carolyn

Anonymous said...

Tyler,
I understand in my head how you feel about the healthcare bill!But it was such a "fray-cuss"(fracas)!It is just one of many things we as a people should do for all our citizens.
We are such a selfish people and our legislators are a picture of us. We are all from immigrant stock--but are taught to look after ourselves--don't tell me what to do! We have become too powerful and selfish--we think we know what is right! We have no idea of kindness for our fellow creatures or helping those in need. We only fight with our mouths and guns--we lie--tell stories that are not true, send our youth off to their deaths and live in clover--never a day in want--but with little pain.
I think of you often, Tyler and of the many who are working with you. To me, this is the reason for our living--my best thoughts to you.
Rae

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.