Sunday, May 13, 2007

May 2007

Update...
I just posted the blog for the rest of May below this post just for continuity purposes. I hope everyone is doing well and hopefully I will be able to catch up with a number of you soon.
-TN

Again, I have neglected the blog and been just busy with various minor tasks. In one way, being bogged down with day to day things is sort of moving towards normal and those trivial parts of daily life can actually be something of an abstract form of medicine. At this point we are well on our way back to normal, though there is still quite a long way to go. A bit of a warning, this entry will be a bit long so get comfortable.

I just wanted to say thanks for all the warmth I have received over this whole journey and especially through the comments on the blog and from people I have seen in person recently. Keep those comments coming, I love them. I apologize for my delayed responses, but whenever a comment is made, I get an email and they always put a smile on my face. Thank you for your kind words, Dr. Lee. Something Eva and I have realized is that uncertainty is one of the hardest things to deal with. In that way, we empathize with what you went through and extend our thoughts and prayers to everyone who is facing uncertainty.

I will be going up to Portland next week to see family and am really looking forward to it. Good to hear from you Zel and Tom. I cannot believe I received a comment on my blog from my Great Aunt Zel. What a world! In Newsweek, Eva pointed out that a 95 year old woman just graduated from college (she became the oldest person to do so) and now my Great Aunt is all over the internet. You Rock Zel! I think I will pass out if I see a video post from you on You Tube (I am sure some credit should be sent Bette’s way, good job on bringing the technology to your mom).

I visited my father at the office last Friday and I just wanted to express how wonderful it was to see all of you. I have always been greeted with smiles and warmth and it means so much to me. I cannot express the gratitude I have for all of your thoughts and prayers and for the support you all have given my family and me through this very tough time. You all are remarkable human beings and I wish the best for each and every one of you. Also, the free lunch was pretty sweet. Thanks.

Just a quick health update… I am still just plugging away with chemo and basically leading a fairly normal life. That seems to be the theme. I still feel pretty normal. I guess that I am not really myself for a few days after an infusion but even when I am not myself, it really is not all that bad. Eva says I get a bit cranky. I just tell her to feed me, burp me, and put me to bed. I suppose I get a bit touchy sometimes. Alright, I will be honest, I can get to be a pretty big A-hole when it is bad. Luckily, it usually passes fairly quickly and later that day or the next my usual demeanor returns. We are still figuring out the new regimen but it seems to be following a 3 week pattern alternating Mitomycin C with Epirubicin and Taxotere with some Erbitux mixed in from time to time. I still get a pretty impressive rash from the Erbitux, but then I get to amuse myself by seeing how far I can eject the puss from my face. FYI, the forehead zits consistently get more distance. For now, the plan is just to continue doing what I am doing. It seems to be stable for the moment and stability is a wonderful thing. It would be nice to eventually be cancer free but I will certainly be fine going the chronic disease route.

Anyways, I will recap the highlights last few weeks with some brief entries and photos.

Weekend of 5/12/2007

Eva and I took off for Catalina for the weekend. Eva grabbed the newspaper on her way out the door and began reading it as we were driving to the boat launch. The front page headline read “Fire Lays Siege to Avalon!” The headline was accompanied by an impressive photo of flames behind the city, ready to descend upon the unfortunate town and lines of tourists being evacuated on the Catalina express. She cutely inquired, “Uhh, Tyler, have you seen this? Are we really going there?” I tried to explain that the media was just looking for sensational stories and that fires were always over dramatized. Newspapers live for photos of flames. She still seemed skeptical, but I said, “If our campsite is on fire, I will bring us back to the mainland.” We launched the boat, Eva laughed at my consistent amusement at seeing sea lions on the buoy in the harbor, and before we knew it, we were out in the open ocean. Some dolphins joined us for a bit and seeing that wonderful smile on Eva’s face makes all my worries and concerns just fade away. We were destined for Lava Wall, a boat in site towards Two Harbors, so we decided we would make a quick stop at Two Harbors and fill up on gas before checking out what we were in for. Everything seemed pretty normal at Two Harbors. It looked a little dead for a summer weekend but there were no flames or panicking vacationers as far as we could see. We pulled up to the fuel dock and Eva was going to pick up a couple last food items while I gassed up. I walked up the dock to the harbor master and asked if I could get some fuel. He said no, sort of tilted his head a bit and professed, “We got nothing.” My face inquired and he continued, “We got no electricity, no fuel, no phones, no cell phones, nothing.” He explained to me though the fire did not even get close to them, that a number of electric poles near Avalon had burned and, as all of Two Harbor's electricity comes from Avalon, they were pretty much cut-off. The fuel pumps run on electricity, so they were out. The phones lines were also burned and the cells had no power. They had to conserve water because they use an electric pump to get the water up to the water tower. The general store was closed (this store is otherwise open 365 days a year) as was the deli and restaurant though they were still providing something to those in need of sustenance. You had a choice of a premade sandwich or chicken tenders. They had a few generators that were running essential items like the deep fryer for the chicken tenders. Luckily we were expecting to be self sufficient, though there is definitely a different feeling when you have to be self sufficient. Sort of like a circus preformer doing his thing without a net. Anyways, Lava Wall was an incredible site. Eva and I had a wonderful day and half enjoying our own private beach. The trip and a few activities that followed will be presented with photos and captions.

Here are Eva and I just heading out. She is smiling because I am about to take yet another picture of the sea lions on the buoy.


And here are those adorible sea dogs. If I remember, next time I will try to get a video of Eva or I attempting to communicate with them.


This was our first look at the site. Rough accomodations. I love the boat in sites. A sign and a picnic table and that is pretty much it.


Eva and I were not completely alone at the site. This little character had gotten there first, but for some reason, he did not want to hang out with us. Maybe he knew that I snore.


While exploring some nearby tidepools, I found a shark's egg case. No worries, we returned it to the sea.


Heading out to paddle around a bit. Just imagine Chris Farley's voice singing "Fat guy in a little boat." I was even sucking it in for the camera. Obviously, I still have a bit of a coushin. I tell myself I am just remaining ready in case the chemo turns bad and I can't eat for a little while.


Eva and I after dinner. A bit later we broke out Boggle and went at it. You don't know embarrasment until you have lost at Boggle to someone who's fifth language is your first.


Eva loves a man who does the dishes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Tyler:

Great pics and blog updates. You have inspired me to go play with Mother Nature more. Even though my work schedule leaves me very limited time during the school year, I'm now searching Craig's List for a kayak or two for Birken and me to use this summer. I want to be low on the water in a kayak as you described. And, to catch some fish would be great. I remember being the one to clean the fish as a kid because my brothers and dad would not. How did you convince Eva to clean fish? Her pic gutting a fish looks like a very high paid glamorous model teaching the world that cleaning fish is "cool". Looking forward to seeing you this next week.

Love, Uncle Tom