Tuesday, May 01, 2007


On Sunday morning, Eva and I got up and did the usual run/ride thing. I kept monitoring our speed and giving updates. It was a little overcast and cooler and it certainly made a difference on our moving average speed. I have been horseback riding with my parents a few times but have yet to go with my wife so that was what I put onto the menu for the day. Eva had actually ridden a bit while growing up and she claimed to be fairly proficient. I have made no claims to that effect, ever. We made our way up to the Sunset Hollywood Ranch (the ranch on the Hollywood side of Griffith Park) and before we knew it, our horses were saddled up and we were on our way. I do not know if something happened or what, but now they require you to wear helmets while riding. Before, you could just check the box saying that you were offered a helmet but declined to wear it. It is probably a good idea, but it is almost impossible to look cool while wearing one. And we all know, that looking the part is everything, especially in Hollywood. I guess I have managed to survive 26 years looking pretty dorky, I will probably be able to make it another afternoon. Anyways, the ride was very nice. It was midday on a Sunday and the group only consisted of Eva and I, the guide, and one other couple. The other couple was pretty nice but I am pretty sure it was their first time on horses. I am not sure if the issue was the rider or the horse but the guy just could not get his horse to go. The guide kept telling him to give the horse a kick and that “If you can’t hear it, he can’t feel it.” Felt very lucky that my horse, Shiloh, and I were able to communicate a bit better. Each time I have gone riding, I have felt a little more comfortable and confident on a horse. I still giggle at the whole idea and it is still really fun to pretend that you are in a western. Eva really is a good rider
and her and Buckshot seemed to be on the same wavelength. She commented, while we were riding, that she has never seen my back so straight. She was threatening to tell me to pretend I was on a horse the next time we were at the dinner table. It just was really surprising to her because all she knows is the sloucher she sees around the apartment. We just did an hour ride but it was fun to get into Griffith Park a bit and always enjoyable to be on a horse.

Later that afternoon, we just hung out a bit and read and relaxed. We picked up some camping chairs at Target the day before and gave them a test drive on the balcony. It was pretty sweet. The chairs we previously had on the balcony, were just some wooden folding chairs and it only took about 15 minutes of sitting before your butt would fall asleep. The camping chairs are much more comfortable and it is only a matter of time before I start napping out there. Lazily I got ready, as Eva had told me she was taking me out for a romantic dinner that evening. I was pretty curious, but she would not tell me where we were going. She only said to wear a suit and that we were leaving at 5:30. I made sure she double-checked the directions, as I usually navigate, and then followed her requests as instructed.

I continued to wonder where she was taking me as we got into the car and started making our way towards Hollywood. When she said to make a right onto Franklin, I thought that maybe we were heading towards the Magic Castle but I was a little worried that she might be using the invitation we had gotten for our wedding from my Aunt Patti and Uncle Tom just on us. The invitation had allowed us to bring up to ten guests and we all know how I feel about getting the most value out of everything. I calmed my nerves with the idea that she probably got another invitation for two from one of her co-workers and was really looking forward to a romantic and fun evening with my wife. I was a little worried about not making the scene by pulling up to the valet in my Volvo but then I saw that the car in front of me was also a Volvo and felt a little better. Then I looked a little closer, and wondered to myself, “Is that Ariel getting out of that car? What are the odds that they are here at the Magic Castle as the same time as Eva and I? Ohh, there’s Nick, hey I haven’t seen them in a bit, cool. Ohh, hey, there’s Steve and Collette, and wait a minute, there’s my parents, hey, what’s going on?” With 26 birthdays, I had never had a surprise pulled on me like that. Eva had put it all together and it came off without a hitch. The amazing part was that Steve, Nick, nor myself are known as very timely guys and somehow, we all arrived within about 5 minutes and there were no cars in between our four. Nick had noticed me behind him turning into the driveway but I was totally clueless. It was wonderful to see such good friends and my parents and I was just overwhelmed at the whole idea of it all. Every time I think my wife could not be any more perfect, she proves me wrong and raises the bar even further. I do not know how much longer she can continue like this before she will have to walk on water or something.

We all gathered ourselves, said the magic words and went inside for dinner. It was wonderful food, as expected, and just a delightful meal. Nick and Ariel are continuing with their wedding plans and approaching it in a similar manner to how Eva and I approached it, as opposed to the usual American freak out and spend all of our parents money protocol, which seems to be fairly common these days. Nick and I have something of a symbiosis going in the home entertainment department. About a month ago we had Nick and Ariel over for dinner and we each lauded our recent acquisitions. They told us about their Wii and we showed them our projector. Well, about a week after the dinner, Nick had gotten himself a projector, and I had picked up a Wii and we were both just that much happier. Steve and Collette also seem to be doing well and are just very cute together. I wish both couples the best for the future and I am sure fun times are in store for both of them.

After dinner, we tried to catch all the magic shows we could get into and some were pretty impressive. Eva is so cute because she is so interested in trying to figure out how they do each trick. She just really never turns off. Her mind is in constant motion and I love it. One guy made birds appear out of every which way, there were a number of card and rope tricks, and a little, little dog even read my mind. I really had a good time and enjoyed all the little shows we saw. Well performed magic just puts a smile on my face and puts me in a really good place. We are well into my cancer journey and it still remains of utmost importance to keep an optimistic and positive outlook on the future. Different activities that keep some wonder in my eye, seem to me as essential as the chemo I get. Eva just does an incredible job of keeping me in that place and mental state. I know I am just repeating myself, but I shudder at the idea of where I would be without her. She is truly a saint. Enough seriousness though, I enjoyed my one beer for the week and was glad that I had saved it for such an occasion. Seeing the different tricks and shows sort of perked an interest for Eva and I and I would not be surprised if we ended up picking up a couple of tricks the next time we are in a magic shop.



It was truly a wonderful evening and I just wanted to say thanks to my parents, Steve, Collette, Nick, Ariel, and Eva for making it so. It was the best birthday dinner I could have imagined.

-TN

No comments: