Thursday, December 13, 2007

12-08-2007 Portland

The big winner for the 10,000th hit was …drum roll please…

Jessica Noesen!

Congratulations Jessica! She emailed me with the screen shot and is entitled to all the glory this contest can bestow on her. Well, it looks like it is going to be a t-shirt and then hopefully, some activity involving a boat. Sorry not to reveal the results immediately, but it really would not have been consistent with the philosophy of this particular blog (basically, I continue to be lazy).

Anyways, I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and got everything they wanted. If there was something that you did not get, you are always welcome to use the rationalization that “Well, if Tyler wanted it, he would probably buy it for himself. So, I might as well buy it for myself. You have to live for the day.” Yeah, I have sort of been doing the instant gratification thing for the last year and 5 months. Miraculously, Eva and I are not bankrupt yet. It did make it a little hard for Eva to do her Christmas shopping but she did manage to put the breaks on my spending (on myself) a bit in the month and a half leading up to Christmas. Actually she did incredibly, as did the rest of the family. I feel incredibly fortunate. The toys are fun, but at the end of the day, nothing really beats a good hug and just knowing that you are loved (try telling that to an 8-year-old, give him about 15 years and he will get it).

Back in early December, once Eva and I got back from Switzerland, we worked a few days, and then were off again up to Portland to visit some of my family. We left Saturday morning and were at the home (sorry Zel, you lovely residence will be referred to as a home during this entire entry) by early afternoon. The 2 hour flight was nothing when compared to the 11 hour flight to Zurich. We checked out the activities list for the day (the home is amazing and coordinates activities for the residents pretty much every day) and saw that Wii bowling was happening in the afternoon. Pretty Sweet. We got Zel out there and she actually got a few strikes. Look at that Champ!


My father got into it a bit though, luckily, he was a little more restrainded than when he was Wii boxing in our apartment. Just because I relish in every victory, I have to mention that I managed to hit a couple strikes in the 10th frame for a come from behind victory.


After our bowling workout, we took a little tour around the home. Nearly everyone decorates their doors for the season and some were really spectacular.


Eva and I loved the goose with ear warmers. Adorable!


We took a bit of a break before dinner and Eva and I checked out the library. I perused a really nice Atlas and Eva amused herself by working on a puzzle that was out. I had no idea that she liked puzzles but she was adorable and got really into it. We only spent about 45 minutes there but a puzzle that was only about ¼ done upon arrival was nearly ¾ done before we had to go to dinner. It was tough to pull her away.


Then Eva, my folks, Zel, and I went to AppleBee’s in the little shopping center right around the corner from her place. We had a dinner of appetizers which is always fun. We just cannot resist the happy hour specials. After dinner we chatted a bit more at Zel’s place and then turned in.

On Sunday, we got up and had breakfast with Zel and her friends Ray and Bob. They are a couple of characters and it was wonderful to meet them and have breakfast with them. It was really good to see that Zel has some really nice friends at her place. Good friendships are had to come by and really make life a whole lot better. Eva commented and I agreed that all three of the residents were just so quick that it was hard to keep up. Some of the comments out of Bob even made my father blush a bit. It was just really funny when you were not expecting it. After breakfast, we talked a bit more on some of the nice couches that were in the main room and my dad and I got to hear about a car that Bob had been restoring. A nice 30’s Mercedes convertible. "You know, like Hitler’s car." he said. Just a funny guy and Ray was just so kind and warm as well. She was pretty liberal and I had to laugh when she said we have a nutcase in the White House. Not the usual sentiment out of the older crowd (no offense intended Ray and Zel and Bob, you all are very young in spirit). I would try to test the political waters with Zel but realized that I would probably not get very far as she generally votes by looks. Lets face it, even with the ears, Bush was better looking than both Gore or Kerry so you can’t really hold that against her. After digesting a bit, my folks, Eva, and I went out for a little run/walk. Eva ran and the rest of us walked. There was a little bike path that ran along the stream and apparently went all the way into Portland. It was really nice though crisp and cold and even a few snowflakes fell. It felt good to get out and move around a bit.


Then we went back, got cleaned up, and met up with the rest of the family at Zel’s. Tom and Birken had come over and Betty and David had come up. It was really great to see all of them. All of them were looking very well and everyone seems to be doing pretty well. After catching up for a bit we all made our way down to a lovely Sunday champagne brunch put on by the residence. It always just feels very good to get the family together a bit and this was no exception. I wish I had more time to travel around so that I could see my family a bit more regularly. I guess we all wish we had more time for everything that we would like to do. If I have realized anything from this experience it is that time is probably the most valuable commodity any of us has. So make the most of it. And just for the record, sometimes time is best spent just doing nothing with someone you love. I cannot express how much I enjoy just hanging out on the couch with Eva. That said, I also enjoy dragging her around a bit a trying to squeeze it all in. I guess that a balance of both is nice. Anyways, lunch was wonderful, good food and good company. The boys behaved themselves, not that there was ever any doubt, but sometimes my father’s sarcasm can get a little out of hand. Sadly, we were only on a short trip and Tom had to pick up a friend from the airport and that was the only time we got to spend with Tom and Birken. Hopefully, Tom will have a wonderful time in Hawaii (he is probably there right now) and hopefully Birken gets some snow. We sort of took it easy that afternoon and then in the evening, Eva, my folks, and I went to the little shopping center right by the home. We tried to do a little shopping for each other though it was a little hard to shop for each other in front of each other. There were a couple close calls where a “Stop right there!” and a cover the item with your jacket maneuver prevented a surprise from being spoiled. We grabbed a small bite at the bar around the corner and then went back to Zel’s.

On Monday, we got up and checked out the exercise room. What a surprise, my father was already in there and sweating hard. After a brief workout, we got cleaned up and went down for breakfast. I really love the set-up where everyone eats with each other for as many meals as they would like. It is really social and just totally reminds me of college. After breakfast, we all cruised down to Betty and David’s to check out their new house. On our last trip in May, we got to see the blueprints and now we got to see the finished product. It was very nice. A beautiful home and Eva even said that the corners appeared to be aligned (something of a rarity in American construction – a little joke between us. I usually respond by saying something like, “well at least is did not take 5 years to finish). It was a little ways down there but the drive was nice and we got to see a bit of the Oregon countryside on the way there. We had a great lunch and spent some more time with family. Zel looks like she is enjoyng her spot.


Betty, me, and Eva. Betty, my dad's cousin, was recently diagnosed with breast cancer and is just begining her chemotherapy regimen. She has maintained a wonderful attitude throughout probably the hardest part of the journey (diagnosis) and it was actually really fun making cancer jokes with her, survivor to survivor. We all just try to make the best of a shitty situation. I really feel for her, and everyone who has been touched by this disease, and wish her the best of luck in her journey. Please keep her in your thoughts as the wonderful thoughts and prayers you all have given me have done wonders in keeping me around.


Check out the great tree at the home. I am telling you, this place was really nice. Sign me up.


Here we are with Zel before we left. She just has a wonderful spirit. I hope to make my way back up there soon.


Our trip was a quick one and we had to head back up to Portland to catch our flight that evening. We dropped Zel off at the home, hugged our good byes, and were on our way. Another mellow flight back down to LA and then we went back to San Pedro to crash.

Take Care and Live Strong,
Tyler

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tyler, I sure enjoyed your write-up
and the pics of the Portland trip
as well as other year end trips.
Wow, you are one great writer,
photographer,husband, survivor,
son, friend, etc. Basically, you
are amazing! Thanks for keeping us
posted on your exciting experiences
and treatment updates. You can be
sure I am thinking about you and
praying for a most successful and
fun 2008! Tom Villiger...neighbor
on 35th ST. SP.

Anonymous said...

Hey Tyler: Happy New Year! It was great seeing you. It's been a month since your visit. Time flies. I'm picking up my friend this week, coming back from one month in Guatemala. And, yes, Birken got to enjoy more snow. And, I loved Maui and Oahu. I'm so dark and tan, people think I've changed my ethnic make up. Too bad you didn't take up my offer to come to Maui . . . . the condo was right on the water. You and Eva would have loved it. Hawaii celebrates New Year's Eve like 4th of July with tons of fireworks everywhere. I had a couple fantastic massages (noted as what Hawaiian royalty have received through history) from an experienced Hawaiian who brought along some "Maui Wowie" to deepen the experience.. . WOWIE! I met Uncle Charlie (the Maui Yoda of the islands) who is a famous healer. Because I was honoring him and his beautiful garden as I was passing, he just sucked me in to his magical home for beers, talk, hand reading, psychic reading, and channeling. Amazing magical things he shared with me. Uncle Charlie's message is the same as yours . . . "live each day true to yourself and seek and tend to your own spirituality through your mind, body, and soul". I have to go back so will let you know when my next trip will be. Maybe you could join in then. You'd appreciate this . . . I took a little "puddle jumper" from Kapalua, Maui to Honolulu, Oahu to experience 24 hours of Honolulu, Waikiki, and the bars (open until 4 a.m.) Amazing and wild experience. I'll go back there too.Take care. Hope to see you again soon.

Love, Uncle Tom

Unknown said...

Hi Tyler,
Happy New Year! Hau'oli Makahiki Hou!

I just want you to know that I've begun reading your blog regularly because:
1) I see how much you pack into every month and how beautiful your reflections are and I am ever inspired to find joy in the days that present themselves. Eva and your parents look beautiful in every picture, too. You and your loved ones are such happy examples to follow!

2) It's really fun that you share so much of yourself and life in this manner. I feel more connected to you than before and we haven't see each other for over a year! Thanks for sharing and for being such a great teacher.

3) It's the best I can do without your phone number! Maybe you or Eva could call or write sometime soon?? I'll even leave mine here just in case: 8084438303

On another note.....
If you DO decide to come to Hawaii ever (do you think I could let a plug like Uncle Tom's go without adding my own plug?), know that you have a place on the Big Island, too. Between my boyfriend and I, we have two residences and two cars, and we only really use one at a time. Enticing at all? Free house and car? Hope you guys consider it. You are welcome and missed, and wanted! Oh yeah, and if you stay in my apartment, The entire wall has windows that look directly at Mauna Kea. It's really beautiful.

I'll be in LA one night in Feb on the way home from a trip with my boyfriend David and would love to see you and Eva whether its in Hawaii or somewhere else.

Aloha, Elizabeth