Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Wednesday 11-15-2006

Well, we were well overdue laundry wise so I went domestic in the morning and washed and folded a few loads. I know the guys I used to live with in Berkeley would be impressed that I even did the sheets. I would have been surprised if any of those guys washed their sheets more than once a semester.

It was my dad's day off, so he headed up and, once I finished my house husbands responsibilities, we set to figuring out what we would do with our day. I had heard about a small 3-par golf course fairly close and we both thought that would be a good way to spend an afternoon. The course was Holmby and it was definitely small but really fun and a little hilarious. It is right next to the LA country club in Beverly hills but it is open to the public and only costs 2 bucks to play a round during the week (3 dollars on weekends). The course was a little hilarious in that they somehow fit 18 holes into what is basically a small city park (maybe 5 acres). The long hole was a whopping 78 yards and the short hole was 40. There are trees everywhere and the greens are like 10 feet in diameter. Add picnickers and parked cars and the course ends up being a bit of a challenge (although, considering my father and my skill level, any course is a challenge for us). Here is my father teeing off at the 16th hole (this was one of the long ones).

The excitement of the day came when I teed off on the 14th hole and accidentally hit a guy. He was a golf pro and was ball hawking in the bushes behind the hole when it happened. The hole was pretty short (one of the 40 yarders) but I sort of got a hold of it and my ball was probably not going to hit him until it hit a tree midflight. We yelled "fore" but it was a bit late and he got it right in the calf. I apologized from the tee as he sort of hobbled off away from the bushes. He grumpily inquired what club I was swinging as the hole was only 40 yards to which I replied pitching wedge. I felt bad but then my father and I rationalized the blow as golf course justice as he probably should not have been ball hawking at the end of a fairway (or at least be a little more aware while doing so).

As far as our play, it improved over the course of the round. Both my father and I posted a few pars, along side our double and triple bogeys, and I even had a birdie. We found our way into the rough a few times but we both managed to finish the round with the same ball we started with (this is big for both of us). Here I am hitting out of the bushes (yes the same ones where I hit the guy the hole before). In case golfing is not your thing, Holmby also offers lawn bowling which can be seen behind me.

Just golfing was not enough to fill the day for my father so we ended up heading over to the grove to catch a matinee of "The Departed." It was pretty violent though enjoyable and lived up to the paper's description of Good Fellas with cell phones.

After my father took off, Eva and I went to Longs to pick up a couple cards and fill a prescription. Eva's aunt, back in the Czech Republic, was just diagnosed with cancer and we wanted to send some positive energy her way. It was quite an experience picking out a card for someone with cancer when you have cancer. In some ways it was helpful because I certainly know the kind of card I would like to get and can definitely screen out the cards I would hate to receive. It is so hard to find a card that expresses "we are sorry for the diagnosis but we want to give you hope and strength for the battle ahead." The hope cards were just a little off and all the recovery cards are sort of hospital related and don't really capture the marathon nature of a cancer fight. I sort of broke down a bit when we got to the sympathy cards. It just hit a little too close to home. Eva comforted me and eventually we found a card that seemed to express what we were looking for. There is definitely a lack of cards fitting the "We heard about your crappy situation but our thoughts are with you and are hoping for the best. Now get fired up for the fight." I guess it is kind of a narrow scope. I mean most of us will have like 80 birthdays whereas only 1 in 3 of us will be diagnosed with cancer. Hallmark knows where to put their efforts.

Quite a full day and I made it pretty well considering the full round of chemo earlier in the week. I think I will need to take it easy tomorrow.
-TN

No comments: