Sunday, November 19, 2006

Weekend of 11-18-2006

Eva and I headed down to Newport for the weekend just to get away a bit and also a few buddies from college were going to get together for the Cal-USC game on Saturday. We stayed at the Best Western right on PCH and it was pretty nice. It is always exciting for me to stay at hotels. On Saturday, Eva and I got a nice little breakfast at Cappy's and then checked out the surfers. We saw some pretty good rides and actually spotted a few dolphins that were making their way up the coast. We wanted to get a bit of activity in and, as I had been approved for mellow bike rides, we went and rented a beach cruiser and I rode while she ran. It was a pretty sweet ride and decked out with whitewall tires and springs in the seat. The beautiful weekend had brought a lot of people out onto the bikepath. It was cool to see so many people outside being active. By the way, you do not need to tell me how cool I look these days sporting the 1 stocking, the wide brimmed hat, shades, and hydration pack - I know. I practically had to fight off the girls on the bikepath.




We cruised down the peninsula and stopped in on my buddy Pesto. His family has a house right on the beach about a quarter mile from the end of the peninsula. It was your average incredibly beautiful luxurious home. You know, the usual ocean and beach view on one side of the house and Newport bay view on the other. Pesto and I ran together at Cal and a few other runners had come down and were staying with him for the weekend. Eva and I finished up our workout and then met up with Pesto, John Burke, his lovely lady friend, Dan Spence, and Adam Shaffer to watch the game at Pesto's place. Tran (Shaffer's lovely lady) joined us for dinner and the second half of the game. How disappointing. Cal just could not put it together. It was still fun hanging out with friends and catching the game.

After the game, we wanted to lift our spirits and what better place to do so than the "Fun Zone" in Balboa. Nothing like a little skeeball to take the edge off of a football defeat. The skeeball was intense but the party really started to get going when a few people hit the Dance Dance revolution game. Pesto moves pretty well for a big guy. I have to say I was impressed. Eva took out some aggressions on the whack-a-mole game (this time featuring alligators) though she had to stop after a couple games as her hands were in a little pain (the whacker was missing).

On Sunday, Eva and I hung out at the hotel and then met up with John and Pesto for another ride/run. It was a good little workout. Pesto, Eva, and I had a long lunch to wrap up a wonderful weekend.
-TN

No comments: