Tuesday, December 05, 2006

11-17-2006 through 12-05-2006 Health overview (uneventful)

Well, I have been neglecting the blog recently mostly because everything has been going pretty well and Eva and I have been trying to squeeze it all in as usual. As far as my health, things are still going very smoothly. I did not get anything on Monday the 20th (it would have only been Erbitux) because the rash was still very prevalent. I started Xeloda on Thursday the 23rd and on the 27th and 28th I got a full round of Gemzar, Irrinotecan, Cisplatin, and Erbitux. I had the usual bloating and weight gain and loss but the infusion was pretty mellow. I chatted it up with a couple of nice patients and it really is just like a little social club in some ways. I guess I have been a little tired these days but I think it is more related to our level of activity than the effects of the chemo.

I have noticed that my skin has been as soft as it ever has in my life. Eva has heard about this but it was a bit of a pleasant surprise for me. I think my leg hair is also getting a little thin and it is just a little trippy touching my leg and having it be rather smooth and enticing. Hmmm, I guess the physical effects are not all bad for Eva. Also along the same lines, Eva has noticed that I have considerably less armpit hair than before. It is just a little interesting what stays and what goes. I am wondering what I would look like without eyebrows (something that Eva fears).

Otherwise, I have had some slight nausea but my appetite is still going strong and I certainly have no problem packing it away. I have been trying to eat healthier but am still gaining (luckily I am gaining more slowly than before) and am pretty much over the 185lb mark and knocking on 190's door. The rash has come and gone over the last 2 weeks and was pretty intense at times. At one point I was pretty sure that if I flexed my pecks hard enough, zits would just start popping all over the place (I did not actually carry this out). On the blood clot front, I am still wearing the stocking and injecting myself twice a day. All in all, I feel pretty good. I repeatedly mention to the chemo nurse "If you guys didn't tell me I was sick, I wouldn't know." I guess that if you have to be sick this is probably the best way to be sick.

I went in for my infusion today (just Erbitux) and it went well. Just an hour or so but Eva and I enjoy the office so we end up hanging around a bit. My counts were pretty good - whites were high-normal, reds were just below the normal range, and my platelets were at 450K (just above normal). The infusion days where I only get Erbitux are pretty mellow. I still got my benadryl so Eva had a docile guy on her hands post infusion. I think she prefers me in a semi-doped up state. She says I mouth off a whole lot less. I don't think I ever mouth off, I am just following the example of my father and "being clever."

I will try to get some of the happenings from the last few weeks down with some photos shortly.
-TN

3 comments:

Jerry said...

Dude! Good to see that you're still doing well. I still wonder when you haven't posted in a while. Yeah, I know you've said that no news from you is generally good news, but we still wonder.... Hey, did you really write that you're finding your own legs "enticing" now??? Eeeewww! Anyway, thanks for the update! I'll update my church folks too. Peace!

Anonymous said...

Hey Buster,

I am so glad to hear you are doing okay. When we don't see your blog updated, we just hope that all is well. Sounds like you are handling this chemo stuff pretty well. I know it is still hard on you, but like everything you seem to have the strength and the best attitude about it. Then with Eva at your side, well what more could you ask for!!! We do miss you alot around here and can't wait to have you back. I promise there will be lots of chocolate!!!
Take care and give my best to Eva and your folks.

Maybe you can come by for lunch with all of us or something. I know the holidays are coming fast and we are all excited about the shut down, but if you find some time let us know.

Your amiga,
Anna

Anonymous said...

Hey Tyler, great to hear things are going well. Sorry I missed the weeding. I was out of town, but I heard from everyone at work how wonderful everything was. Well, we’re getting to the end of the year and things are as crazy as ever. I hope we’ll see you before the shutdown. If not, I hope you and your family have a great Christmas and a wonderful New Year. Keep in touch, Alex