Sunday, October 29, 2006

Sunday 10-29-2006

I had another busy weekend but figured that I will get today down and then just add the posts as I have time. I will probably fill the last week and a half for my own benefit so check down occasionally if you are so inclined. Again, when I have not posted for a while, it is probably a good sign that I am out and about.

I was roused this morning by a startled Eva telling me that it was 7:10. Normally this would not be a problem but we were doing the LA Cancer Challenge 5K/10K and the 5K started at 8am over by UCLA. I frantically woke up George and Susy (Eva's brother and his girlfriend) and dressed and tried to get out the door. I was wondering why my phone did not wake me up at 6:30 as I have never had problems getting up with my phone before. Susy was still feeling the effects of intercontinental travel and was not up for the run so she took my usual role of couch patrol. We got out the door and we were actually making really good time and it looked like we were going to make the race when the alarm on my phone went off. It all came together. I was just another one of those idiots that got duped by daylight savings time. Eva, George, and I had a good laugh and then proceeded to Starbucks to kill a little time before the race. I could not believe that I had been taken by those stupid farmers. My mother had even reminded me the night before but I figured that the important clocks (phone, computer, etc.) would all switch themselves and which clock do I forget about? Only the one I use the most, the one on my wrist. We made it to the race with plenty of time, got our numbers, t-shirts, and tried to score as much free stuff as possible. I really do not need a Jack FM key chain but there it just something I cannot resist about free stuff. It must be some sort of inherent consumer impulse within me. We met up with my mother and father and then I got ready to go. I am still sort of supposed to stay off my leg, but I figured that this was in support of cancer research so it was worth the risk. The plan was just to walk/jog the 5K and not let my pulse get too high. Eva was wonderful enough to accompany me though it would be sort of a nothing workout for her. The run went well. I probably jogged maybe half of the race, though my jog was not much faster than my walking speed. It was a little depressing hearing my first mile split and realizing that I had completed an entire 5K in less time. No matter where you are in the race, there is always competition for you. I got into it a bit with this big harry guy that Eva and I called medvet (czech for bear). Between the walking and jogging, we probably passed each other about 10 times. He became my nemesis and I ended up leaving him in the dust by mile 2, oh-yeah. On the course I saw Ross Conklin, an old friend from Berkeley, who actually ended up finishing second overall in the 5K.

Here is a little video of me passing the bear.


My parents and George competed in the 10K and all had a decent showing. George and my mother are hard on themselves as they both expected more (such competitors). Eva and I watched for our people at the halfway point and Eva actually hopped into the race to do the second half of the 10K with her brother (what a girl). I caught up with Ross after the race and he ended up joining us all at the pancake breakfast once the 10K was done. Nothing like pancakes and sausages after running a few miles. It was really great seeing Ross and hanging out a bit with him. It made me feel like I have not entirely lost touch with the running community.

After the race, we hung out at the apartment a bit and then the four of us (Eva, George, Susy, and myself) went into Hollywood to catch a movie. We got there a bit early and strolled down the Walk of Fame and just took in all the excitement around us. I hate to admit this, but we went to see Jackass 2 and I actually really enjoyed it. I just have not laughed that hard in a while. They do some really stupid stuff (and some really gross stuff) but somehow it was really entertaining.


I stood at my post for a while on the Walk of Fame but no one had any questions for me. Maybe the one stocking threw them off.

Eva put together a nice dinner of rice and vegetables when we got back and then we were pretty ready to crash. I am still doing really well. I was glad I did not pass out during the run. Hopefully, the DVT is resolving and I will be able to start doing more activity soon. I feel I am ready to go in for a full round of chemo tomorrow.
-TN

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow...I am glad that you made it to the race...and I am even happier to hear that you made it through the whole thing without having any fatigue or other issues.
Sending love and prayers to you in hope that you can do all the things you want to do with out any thing stopping you.

Unknown said...

Tyler its dominic estrada...wow its been awhile my friend..maybe since you beat me in the anual turkey trot in 8th grade. I heard about your bolg and just wanted to send some thoughts and support your way. Take care my friend and i'll be reading the updates.

Anonymous said...

Hey I hope that I look as good in my stocking as you do in yours. K dawg told me about your blog and I have been reading it all day. I have been laughing and crying. You are still the man that if for sure. I had DVT,PE, Pnuemonia last year and still need to wear my sexy stocking...we can talk about that when you email me at timbergump@yahoo.com -Also ask your doctor (and yourself) if skydiving is a possibility because sometimes when things get hairy a jump is the right thing to do. :)
Aloha