Sunday, October 08, 2006

Sunday 10-8-2006

I actually got up at the same time as Eva today. We slept in all the way to 7:30am. What a couple of lazy kids. Well, after I had my cheerios, we decided to change it up, and went for doughnuts. Eva is still getting used to the intense ordering that goes on in some American eating establishments. You don't mess around at the donut store at 8:30 on a Sunday morning. You have to know what you want, tell them, and pay all withing about a minute if you do not want to get the "stupid customer, you're wasting my time" look. Sure the whole exchange is rushed and a little crazy but frankly, I kind of like the efficiency and unbridled capitalism that is the local donut shop.

Eva partook of some donut holes and I was on pace to finish off the half dozen myself, but my mother guilted me into sharing one and a half donuts with her. I proceeded to relax in my donut coma and Eva and my mother went out for a run. Once I perked up a bit, I got the bikes ready and as soon as Eva got back we headed out. It was really cute how excited she got when she realized that she could go for both a run with my mother and a ride with me. What a little athlete. We walked up the first hill this time and then set out to do the ride that used to be my usual mellow ride (the one that brought out some lung toxicity about a month ago). I was feeling pretty good, we took it very slow, and it went pretty well. We broke up the ride by stopping at the chapel and meeting with the organist for our wedding and stopping at Pt. Vincinte and looking for whales (actually we just made out a bit). It was so tough for me to let other riders pass me during the ride. That never used to happen. I used to be able to at least hang with almost anybody on the road and today I was getting passed by middle aged women (not to say that middle aged women are not a force to be reckoned with on the bike).

We finished the ride off right by ending up at the 7-11 and getting slurpies. Eva spoke to her parents (I guess now they are my parents, too. Cool.) and I caught up a bit with Tiana on the phone. A good portion of the afternoon was spent on the couch which was just what I needed. We watched the movie of a trip down the Grand Canyon my father and I went on about 6 years ago. It was a private trip and we spent 18 days on the river, covering 225 river miles, with 11 other incredible people. It was one of the best trips of my life and it was cool to have Eva be able to put some visuals to the stories my father and I have told about being on the river.

We were somewhat productive in the evening as we washed the cars and cleaned the bathroom in preparation for our parents who are coming in on Thursday. We are going to try to convince them that our lives are completely organized and we are just naturally meticulously clean people. I am really looking forward having the in-laws in town. They are both truly wonderful people and a lot of fun to be around (and I am not just saying that to try to get in good with them. They already like me a lot and anyways its too late, I already married their daughter. They are stuck with me).

My parents picked up some Christmas lights (yes Christmas lights are already available and it is freaking early October) at Target which we will use to try to give some atmosphere to the upcoming reception. My mom scored some shoes to complete her wedding ensemble and we took and emailed some photos to return the favor to Eva's mother. Then we cruised up the street for some Mexican food before Eva and I made our way back up to the apartment.

I still feel pretty normal. The rash has gotten pretty bad. My face and chest are covered with acne. My face is understandably a little sore and my scalp is a little itchy. It is so hard to not pop the zits. There is just that feeling of satisfaction when you pop a big one but I try to restrain myself. Eva gives me the business if she catches me, too.
-TN

No comments: