Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Wednesday 10-11-2006

I actually had a solid stool last night for the first time in over a week. It is amazing how you appreciate the little things after they are taken away from you. The previous evening, I had mentioned to my father that it might be fun to take the boat out and figured that we might just cruise over to Long Beach to get some lunch or something. Well, when we got up in the morning, the ocean looked so inviting that I kind of joked, "Why don't we just cruise over to Catalina?" My dad looked at me, looked at the ocean, and replied, "Why the F*ck not?" And with that, the plan for the day was set into motion.

We gathered our stuff, almost forgot the gps, put the boat into the water, and we were off. We did not even have to lie and tell the Cabrillo parking booth that we were conducting seaweed research to launch for free as there was no one at the booth (the day is already starting off well). The trip across was mellow - my father and I could not believe how flat it was. The chop was only about 1 foot and other than that it was just wakes from other boats. When we do the crossing, my dad usually drives and I co-pilot/navigate (point at the island) and stand up at the console beside the wheel. This allows me to take the waves in my knees and keep an eye on what is going on. I have been doing really well with the eating and actually have a bigger belly than I have ever had in my life right now. Well, this bigger belly has a bit more inertia and really moves when we bounce over waves at 30 mph. This would not be a problem except that my scar extends about 20% of the way around my waist and every time my belly would bounce, the newly joined tissue would be pulled apart. This was a little painful. I ended up putting on a life jacket and pulling the straps as tight as I could bear. The jacket then supported my belly and the rest of the ride was pain free.

We made it from the LA lighthouse to Avalon harbor in under 50 minutes, got ourselves a day mooring, and went into town. This trip was unusual for my father and I, as we almost always make the crossing in the morning, spend the night on the island, and then make the return crossing the next morning. This time we were going to go over and come back the same day and we were wondering what the trip back was going to be like (it can get a little choppy when the wind comes up in the afternoon).

A couple of express boats had just pulled in and a cruise ship was moored outside the harbor so the town was pretty packed with tourists. I got my waffle at a cute little diner by the water and then we took a walk up to the golf course. We thought about playing 9 holes but between the time issue with leaving later in the afternoon and the fact that only 3 balls are included when you rent clubs (both my father and I would need more than 3 balls to finish that course. Not that the course is hard, our gold games definitely leave something to be desired). The first tee is a little intimidating, too as you tee off from a hill, over some trees, bushes, and a road to the fairway. At the tee box there are large signs suggesting to take some warm-up swings or go down the hill and tee off from the short box if you are not up to the challenge and also reminding you that you are liable for any damage caused by errant shots. I am thinking if I hit the range a couple times, on our next trip I will probably bring my clubs and give it a go (let me know if anyone is interested). We had lunch at the country club (just the restaurant by the course, it was not very pompous or exclusive as they let a couple of guys like us in), ate outside, and just relished in what a beautiful day it was and that we actually got to enjoy it. After lunch, we leisurely walked back into town and thought we had better get on our way. We took a closer look at the cruise ship as we were leaving the harbor and then headed back out to the open ocean. The trip back was pretty mellow, too. The first 10 minutes, it was glassy. The rest of the way, the wind picked up slowly until there were some white-caps just outside LA harbor. We got a little wet from the spray off a couple waves but really the trip back was as smooth as anyone could ask for. We high-fived when we got back to Cabrillo. What a day.

After we cleaned the boat up, I tried to clean up my room in SP a bit as Eva's parents are coming in tomorrow and they will be staying in the room. I eventually made my way back up to my apartment and my wonderful wife. She is really cute these days as she is really looking forward to seeing her parents. I am also looking forward to seeing and spending time with my new parents (I just am not as cute as Eva).
-TN

No comments: