Monday, September 25, 2006

Monday 9-25-2006

Monday morning I was just wired at 5am. My mind just could not stop thinking about all sorts of little tasks. Ahh, the joys of prednisone. Being that our apartment is pretty much a glorified shoebox and the wall separating the bedroom is really just vertical blinds, I had to figure out how to entertain myself without disturbing my sleeping wife. I ended up using the dinner table and a blanket and made a fort under which I could use my laptop (Eva is very light sensitive). She was a little curious when I was not in bed but found me pretty quickly after she got up.

I leapt through the various hoops and renewed our parking permits (Oh, how I love the Los Angeles Parking Violations Bureau) and then went to pick up a graphics card for the new computer. I just seemed to be off in my timing all morning. I left before 8 to move the car for street sweeping (but we were actually on the right side and sweeping was not until Tuesday), then the web said the parking bureau opened at 8 (it opens at 9), then I ended up at Comp-USA about 20 minutes before it opened. Nothing like sitting in the car waiting to get stuff done. Fortunately, Grandma is only a phone call away.

In the afternoon, Eva and I went for my infusion. I got Gemzar and Irinotecan as well as all the pre-meds. My counts were good. My whites were a little high (but I am not sick so I guess it is OK), my reds were just below normal (but very good for someone on chemo), and my platelets were at like 550,000 (high for normal people). It almost seems like I am a healthy person. Going in, Eva and I thought I was just going to get Erbitux but we ended up with a full round. I will get Cisplatin and Erbitux on Tuesday. I was kidding with the doctor about being able to start the IV myself by the end of this and then he just handed it over. I smiled, thanked him for the opportunity, and told him maybe in a month or two. I got my chemo in the "lounge" which is a small area in the office with 3 lazy boys and a couple of chairs for caregivers. There are also a few rooms where you can lie down and get your infusion. They are a little more private if you have a big support group and they are also where they put you when you first get a new kind of chemo (so that if you have a reaction and pass out you don't give the other patients heart attacks). I enjoy the lounge as it is more comfy and I and have met some pretty interesting people. I met a really nice older woman who actually used to live in SP and then a German woman who I did not get to talk to very much but I could tell she had a lot of spunk. Eva's friend Marcus stopped by and kept us company for most of the infusion. It was really nice hanging out with him. He has been a wonderful friend to both Eva and I.

I was pretty wiped out right after the infusion and was in full "Eva you are the giver of life" docile mode. Eva sees my disposition go from tough and semi-brutish (hopefully attributed to the steroids) before the infusion to completely docile, semi-helpless, and lamb like after the infusion. I actually perked up a bit in the evening and installed the video card (of-course it took a bit more effort than expected and I got a couple looks from Eva as the screen would come up with a total of 16 vibrant colors when we were expecting millions). Once I got it working, she was finally able to play the game I had gotten her for her birthday, Heroes of Might and Magic V. Luckily she had already cooked and incredible dinner (she took my bacon wrapped pork loin up a level by wrapping it both ways, adding some more spices, and cooking it with potatoes and other veges, ohh man it was good) because once the game was working, she knew what she was doing the rest of the evening. I have never seen such a hot girl play a game like that. I think it is adorable. Occasionally she would come over and give me a kiss while her little guys were in auto fight mode or something. Hey, if she's happy, I'm happy and I just love those little smiles on her face when something goes her way.

-TN

No comments: