Sunday, September 24, 2006

Sunday 9-24-2006

Sunday morning Eva and I enjoyed a relaxing breakfast. She went out for a run while I did some work on our computers. I backed up all our important info in preparation to migrate to the new computer (thanks again Jairo) and also migrated the blog from the old blogger to blogger beta. The blog is now on a server that is currently being supported and it should be much easier to get photos up. Before, I could only put photos up between like 10 and 11 at night and even then it took a long time and was iffy. Now I just need to make sure to take my camera with me and try to get some interesting shots. If you see me, please feel free to pose.

After Eva indulged my computer needs, we decided to pay her a little attention and went wedding dress shopping. Now, let me tell you, this is no ordinary shopping outing. Eva and I thought we could just sort of walk into David's Bridal, check out a few dresses, maybe get one, and be on our way. Not the case. The experience was a little closer to purchasing a new car. I guess American women already know how this works but Eva and I were pretty clueless. On the weekend, you cannot just walk in, you need an appointment. We went a bit after 3pm and they were booked for the day. Luckily, they let us peruse the dresses and they said they might be able to squeeze us in if their 3:30 did not show. At 3:45 we were up and the process began. First, you meet with the receptionist and they give sort of an overview of the process and gather all the needed information about the wedding. Next, you meet your consultant who will be with you for the remainder of the session. While the consultant gathers your first few dress picks from the catalogue, you are tasked with finding "the" shoes. Next, you meet at one of the many showcasing areas complete with a wide range of mirrors, multiple seats for observers, a step/pedestal, and immediate access to your changing room. I just sort of sat back and enjoyed the show (also, I figured it was OK for me to see Eva in her wedding dress considering we are already married). The consultant brought an array of undergarments along with the dresses and once Eva had that petticoat on, she was ready to get started. Her top pick looked great on her but the only one they had was a few sizes too big so we went on to check out the others. They all looked really incredible and I actually got into it a bit and would try to make intelligent comments on the look or the fit or how she projected herself in it. She is such a beautiful women. I think she might have had some fun during the process as well. Those dimples were pretty much constant except when she was really focusing on the dress. All the dresses looked great on her but our favorite was still the first. We were going to do the alteration thing but then luckily Eva asked and they could order it in time (we do like to keep it exciting as it will be coming in 10 days before the wedding). Once we had the dress and shoes, you have to find "the" veil and of-course complete the look with the tiara. We decided to hold off on the tiara, for now, as it cost about half as much as the dress itself. On our way to David's, Eva and I were joking as to which would be more painful for me, dress shopping or an infusion. All in all, it was quite an experience and not painful at all.

After the wedding dress adventure, we met up with my parents and went out to Lucille's Southern BBQ for a nice dinner. We caught up on the various family happenings and ate very well. My father got a pork salad that was probably made from 2 heads of lettuce with about a pound of meat over the top. This was no ordinary salad (he had to employ the doggie bag). My father had played a similar role to myself by accompanying my mother during her search for a dress for the wedding, though, unfortunately, her quest continues (it did not sound as intense as what I went through). Everyone seems to be pretty excited about the wedding. I think that one of my favorite things to do is just enjoy a good meal with family and friends. Share some stories, share some laughs. It really does not get much better than that.

-TN

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

After seeing Eva at the wedding, I can attest to the fact that you both chose the perfect gown for her. I loved the simple elegance, and the row of tiny 'buttons' that ran down the back of the dress. She was very beautiful!
dara