Thursday, September 21, 2006

Thursday 9-21-2006

Well, I set a personal record. I used the bathroom 6 times during the night. I am getting very good at getting around the apartment with my eyes closed. I am wondering if I can take it to the next level and teach myself how to get up, go use the bathroom, and get back to bed while still asleep. Just for kicks, I weighed myself before I went to bed and then the next morning and went from 171 (really hydrated, sweet) down to 164. I felt pretty good all day. A touch of nausea and a little heartburn but generally pretty normal. You know, if the doctors hadn't told me differently, I would consider myself a pretty healthy individual. This disease is still just so weird in that it is one of the worst (hardest to treat) kinds of cancer you can get and yet here I am basically symptom free and feeling pretty normal. I guess if I had not found out about it I probably would have just kept living my life until it had truly overwhelmed my body. Though the cyst is large and the tumor has metastasized I still feel like we caught it fairly early. I feel extremely lucky to be going through this fairly symptom free and feeling relatively normal.

My father came and picked me up at the apartment and then we went down and met a few people from work. We had lunch with Jairo, Ko, Mike Woo, and Robin and it was really nice. It was great to catch up with them and they all seem to be doing really well. My father got to put a face on a few of the names he has heard about over the last couple years. It is really good for me to stay in touch with normal life and it just continues define some of the basic goals I have for myself right now. The first goal is of-course to beat the cancer. Goal number two is essentially to return to normal life. I cannot tell you how amazing it would feel to just get up and go to work, come home to my wife, and maybe complain over dinner that the SEM was down or hear her complain that somebody looked at her funny on the street. I have never had the desire for trivial cares as I do now. I imagine that after we vented, we would just smile at each other, pause, and think back to what we have been through.

Big thanks to Jairo for the computer. Just don't take no for an answer at the surplus sale. Your the man!

After lunch, the pops and I went down to SP and I set-up the Tivo that I gotten for them. My parents have just been incredible throughout this whole thing so as a small token of my gratitude I am hoping to improve the way they watch TV. My mom was very excited - especially later in the evening, as she was fast forwarding through commercials and pausing the show so that we could talk.

My father and I went for a walk around the block, chatted with some neighbors, and then cruised over to Long Beach in the evening to meet an old friend at the driving range. We met up with Aaron Durham and his wife Allison and hit some balls. Aaron and I had ran together in high school and the Durhams were basically like a second family to me. It was really fun. I was not sure if I could even swing a club, as my surgery basically severed about half the muscles needed to hit a ball but it went pretty well. No pain in my abs and after shanking and topping a number of balls, I actually had a few pretty nice shots. Aaron and Allison were very good (Aaron has come a long way from our first trips to the range) and my father had a few nice ones, too. It was really great catching up with them and I am thinking that I may be ready to head out to some of the par 3 courses in LB. We grabbed some dinner and heard a few stories about Aaron's early teaching experiences. He taught 2nd grade last year and is teaching 5th grade this year. He particularly liked the reduction in tears found in the older kids and seems to be doing a great job of molding our future generations.
Here is a pic taken at the range with Allison and Aaron. What a nice looking couple.
That's it for now. Live Strong.
-TN

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Just got back from vacation visiting China. You will have fun if your apartment is in China. A bathroom is just a hole on the ground. You deposit liquid and/or solid into that hole. Hopefully we will all see you on the basketball court very soon.

The person who likes to talk trash